[Dixielandjazz] Where are the musical jobs?

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 6 06:36:51 PST 2010

Daniel Barrett wrote: (I think he meant to post this and apologize for
posting it if I am in error)

> Hello, all-
>
> While I would agree with Stephen that "there are no musicians of
> their stature on the OKOM scene today so we really can't compare
> what they did to what's happening now," I'll add that there ARE many
> talented young, middle-aged, and older full-time, pro players out
> there who have a lot to say, and fewer and fewer opportunities to
> say it.  Most of the "OKOM" festivals (and although I know what it
> implies, I've always disliked that acronym) feature amateur or part-
> time musicians, of varying degrees of ability. Several play at a
> "pro" level, but many others simply shouldn't be playing in public.
> This is rather a sore spot for those of us still trying to eke out a
> living playing the music we love. This rather "taboo" subject
> usually isn't discussed.  Pros simply go "straight ahead,' taking
> the gigs that come their way, and generally don't gripe about
> amateurs playing for substandard pay, and audiences which have
> become less discerning over the years.
>
> I still remember an unusually ignorant comment I heard at the
> Atlanta Jazz Party last April.  I was speaking with an otherwise-
> pleasant couple who had mistakenly seated themselves at the
> musicians' table near the stage. That was no problem, as the table
> was free (most of the other musicians were sitting with other
> guests, or in the hospitality room). It was a break between sets,
> and, trying to be polite, I said hello, introduced myself, and told
> him I was from southern California. They told me their names. The
> man told me he used to play bass, many years ago. After a bit, the
> question came up that we pros have learned to accept with some
> humor. The man asked, "So...what do you do for a living?"
>
> I laughed, and replied that this was it! I was doing it!
>
> "No," he went on. "Were you in Atlanta on some business, and
> happened to pick up this jazz party for the weekend?"
>
> "No sir," I said. "This is what I do; I play trombone. I also play
> trumpet, and some people think I can play piano a little bit. I
> write arrangements for various people; teach a little; do a jazz
> clinic here and there; record now and then; and go overseas a lot to
> perform. Between one thing and another, I manage to play the rent.
> This event has been on my calendar for almost a year."
>
> "Oh," he said. he seemed surprised. "Well, what do the others do? Do
> they have 'real' jobs?"
>
> "I smiled, and said, "You know, to us, this is a 'real' job. The
> others.. let me see..." I looked over at the stage, where Joe
> Ascione was setting up his cymbals (Joe inherited the late Jake
> Hanna's beautiful high-hat cymbals. Jake made it clear they were to
> go to Joe). Nicki Parrott was getting her bass ready; Johnny Varro
> was at the piano. Guitar legend Bucky Pizzarelli was seated in the
> crook of the piano, holding his seven-string guitar. Clarinetist
> Allan Vache' and cornetist Randy Reinhart were headed up to the
> [...]

Well said indeed Dan.

Let me make one clarification to my statement that there are no OKOM
players of the stature of Louis, Earl, etc., these days.

What I should have clarified viz a viz "stature" is that the word, as
I used it, was audience driven, not talent driven. Meaning that Louis,
Earl, Fats, et al., had HUGE followings of fans. (Kind of like Lady
GaGa today <grin>) Today's OKOMers do not have anywhere near those
audiences, hence no stature in the eyes/ears of most audiences.

Regarding talent, the players Dan mentions above, plus himself and
quite a few other professionals IMO, equal or exceed the musical
expertise of those who went before them. Their lack of stature is not
related to lack of musical ability, it is simply that there is no
longer a mass audience for what they do. As Dan pointed out, most
folks would be incredulous to learn that they play jazz for a living.

As he and Downbeat say, they have "Talent Deserving of Wider
Recognition."  And as I would echo, those guys can play.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband