[Dixielandjazz] Dukes of Dixieland

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 1 14:18:07 PST 2010

To clear up possible confusion, Bill Sargent's post was correct.
Dickie Taylor was the drummer for the Dukes of Dixieland. And as Jack
Mitchell stated, he played with the Dukes of Dixieland from 1991 to
2002.

Mike Marois was also correct in that Dickie did not play with the
"Real" Dukes of Dixieland which was made famous by the Assuntos. Jack
also correctly echoed this.

The "Real" Dukes as Mike describes them, were active from about 1946
(under various names).
Then in 1949, the named themselves the Dukes of Dixieland. The did a
lot of great things until 1974 or so when Frank died and Papa Jac
stopped playing.

You can see the "Real" Dukes history at: http://www.thedukesofdixieland.com/

In 1975 someone else took the name Dukes of Dixieland and formed a
successor band using the name Dukes of Dixieland.  That band is still
active today under that name and is the band that Dickie Taylor spent
a decade with. Last I heard they had been performing on the steamboat
Natchez in New Orleans.

Their website is:  http://www.dukesofdixieland.com/

There is a disclaimer on their website that they "have not been
affiliated with the Assunto family for 37 years."

A while back there were law suits about the name etc., and I lost
track of current developments.
Mike can no doubt fill in the details for any who are interested.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband