[Dixielandjazz] School Directors and Jazz Sense

John Blegen jcblegen at sbcglobal.net
Tue Aug 17 20:52:24 PDT 2010

It seems that things were beginning to change when I entered high school in
1956.  For the first year I was there (Radnor High School in the Philadelphia
burbs), the junior and senior high schools were in the same building, and there
were two band directors.  One of them, who later became the junior high band
director when the schools split, was a performing jazz musician (his name was
Ben Napier, a trumpet player), and he wrote arrangements for the "swing band"
when he couldn't find stocks.  He wrote some dixieland charts as well and formed
a dixie band among the students, myself on clarinet.  To this day I play the
clarinet part that he wrote for "Jazz Me Blues."  The senior high band director
was not as hip, but he liked jazz and kept the swing band going.  He could play
some rudimentary jazz piano, and he was delighted that some of us could
improvise.  He encouraged us, but he had no idea how to help us improve.  But
the encouragement was plenty.

When I got to college I found that jazz hadn't yet reached the academe, at least
at the little New England school I was foolish enough to choose.  In my senior
year ('64), my roommates and I would often have professors and their wives over
to dinner, and I remember one chemistry prof asking me what I thought could be
improved at the school.  I blurted out that a jazz curriculum would be a step
forward.  The profs wife burst out laughing.

 John Blegen, clarinet
Evanston, IL, USA
jcblegen.com