[Dixielandjazz] School Directors and Jazz Sense

macjazz macjazz at comcast.net
Wed Aug 18 07:12:29 PDT 2010

----- Original Message -----

Subject: Re: [Dixielandjazz] School Directors and Jazz Sense

> It seems that things were beginning to change when I entered high school
> in
> 1956.

Interesting replies on this. Just based on some of the replies received (a
couple also off list) Where and when appear to be factors.

If you were in a major metropolitan area where your band director was
possibly augmenting orchestra pay (or vice versa) there apparently was less
tolerance for jazz.  There may also have been a turn around in the 60s (but
I can't for the life of me figure out why that might be the case.)

I agree with John. When I attended college in the late 50's my major
professor was an Eastman grad.  When I used a Duke Ellington example in a
report he had never heard of Ellington but listened and barrowed the record
(Ellington Uptown, as I recall).  I later used a Mingus example (The Clown)
in another situation, and he got all excited about that.  On the other hand,
one of my classmates was Gerry Eskolin who became director of the LA Jazz
choir, well recorded and famous, particularly on the west coast.

We did not have a stage band but several of us played and had our own group
(though Phi Mu Alpha) and it was quite popular.

"Ya pays yer money and takes yer cherce," I guess.

Mart

Martin D. McKay (Designated Listener)
St. Augustine, Fl. (Come on down.  Bring money)