[Dixielandjazz] School Directors and Jazz Sense

Don Robertson jdrobertson at att.net
Tue Aug 17 17:47:22 PDT 2010

My High School, Long Beach CA Polytechnic 1949 -1952, apparently had a
hip band director, Tony Gill.  They had a dixieland band within the
marching band, called "The Juvvy Hall 5 Plus Gill".  (like the Firehouse
Five Plus 2 who were just becoming known at that time).  I didn't really
know any of the musicians, but was just discovering dixieland at the
time and was aware of the FHF + 2.  I remember one of the marching band
trumpet players used to take his part up an octave.

Don Robertson
Napa, CA