[Dixielandjazz] demise of a smooth jazz station--absence of pre-swing stations--Charlie Suhor

Norman Vickers nvickers1 at cox.net
Sat Aug 14 15:28:03 PDT 2010

To:  DJML and Musicians and JazzFans list

From: Norman Vickers, Jazz Society of Pensacola

Here is a response and query from Charlie Suhor ( Montgomery, AL),
percussionist and jazz historian to Catt Sirten, DJ in Mobile-Pensacola
area.

Apologies to DJML for getting you in late in the conversation.  Original
story was demise of a smooth jazz station in  Columbus, OH.( Didn't think
that would excite you DJMLers)  Since Suhor's query relates to early jazz, I
thought it worthwhile to include DJML in this posting. To get the proper
sequence, start at the bottom.  Most of you, however, are able to do the
switch in your heads.  Whatever works best for you (smile).

Also, welcome to Musicians and Jazzfans list, Jennie Lou Mintz.  Her Pass
Christian, MS home was washed away by Hurricane Katrina.  They exiled to
central MS and are now back home in Pass Christian.  She has been a "wheel"
in the Mississippi Coast Jazz Society and also the New Orleans Jazz Club.
We had a "reunion" at the recent 10th Annual Satchmo Summerfest.