[Dixielandjazz] Dick Hyman with BG

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Fri Aug 13 15:35:51 PDT 2010

Dear Marek,
You may need to update your BG discographal sources.
*>)
You said:
> In late April or early May of 1950, Hyman recorded "The Blues" with
> BG for the State Department, but I am not aware of any LP issues.

Correct.
However there is on a Swedish CD from this European tour recorded at a Concert in Lausanne, Switzerland on 13 May 1950.
http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/music/pid/7068495/a/Swiss+Radio+Days+Jazz+Series+Vol+14%3A+Benny+Goodman+Lausanne+1950.htm

> On 14 November 1955, he was with the Goodman Sextet, accompanying Rosemary Clooney for Columbia.  Those recordings were issued on LP, but it seems on 12" rather than 10".

As indicated in my earlier email, "...the [initial] Columbia release 'Date With The King' with Rosemary Clooney was the last 10" LP of Goodman recordings released in the US.  Col CL2572." It is currently available from Worlds Records on Collectables CD (7427).

> He was wigh BG again in April 1960 on the Arthur Godfrey Show, but I do not know whether the sessions have been issued at all.

The programmes from 27 & 28 April 1960 are on LP: Jazum 27 and Ombrads 290

> The same goes for The Bell Telephone Hour of 25 March 1966.

Three tunes are on Rarities RA21 and Musidisc 30J5195

> So, no Capitol.

Only with the Orchestra as mentioned in my last email.

Benny Goodman And His Orchestra:
Chris Griffin, Billy Butterfield, Bernie Privin (t) Urbie Green, Will Bradley (tb) Benny Goodman (cl) Hymie Schertzer, Phil Bodner (as) Al Klink, Peanuts Hucko (ts) Dick Hyman (p) Tony Mottola (g) Milt Hinton (sb) Bobby Donaldson (d) Martha Tilton (vcl) Jimmy Mundy (arr)
New York, December 7, 1955
   Down South Camp Meeting
   And The Angels Sing (mt vcl)
   Sing, Sing, Sing (pt 1)
   Sing, Sing, Sing (pt 2)

Chris Griffin, Billy Butterfield, Carl Poole, Ruby Braff, Jimmy Maxwell (tp) Urbie Green, Will Bradley (tb) Benny Goodman (cl) Hymie Schertzer, Phil Bodner (as) Al Klink, Peanuts Hucko (ts) Dick Hyman (p) Tony Mottola (g) Milt Hinton (b) Bobby Donaldson (d)
New York, December 8, 1955
   Bugle Call Rag
   Shine
   One O'clock Jump
   King Porter Stomp

> In any event, 10" issues seem most unlikely.

Refer above.
Very kind regards,
Bill.