[Dixielandjazz] 'Treme' Part 3

David M Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Thu Aug 12 17:25:58 PDT 2010

Bill & all,

A really good resource for New Orleans Brass Band history is William
Schafer's "Brass Bands & New Orleans Jazz" (LSU Press 1977) but it was
published just before the "Rebirth" of N.O. Brass Bands in the late
1970s. Out of print, but copies are available here and there.

  There is a book I have not read called "Keeping the Beat on the
Street" by Mick Burns (LSU Press 2006) that seems to take up where
Schafer left off.

> Told in the words of the musicians themselves, Keeping the Beat on
> the Street celebrates the renewed passion and pageantry among black
> brass bands in New Orleans. Mick Burns introduces the people who
> play the music and shares their insights, showing why New Orleans is
> the place where jazz continues to grow.

More possibly interesting books and films here:
http://www.hurricanebrassband.nl/Hoofdsite%20Book_video_dvd.htm

Also, as I have mentioned other times, the 3 books by Ned Sublette are
essential reading for understanding the music and culture of New
Orleans, Louisiana, Cuba, and the rest of the Caribbean as it relates
to popular and jazz music.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ned_Sublette

I have heard some people call the newer style of NOBB called "Hot"
where the older bands like Olympia are either "Classic" or "Old
School," but I am not sure that is a universal usage.

Dave RIchoux