[Dixielandjazz] Hal Smith moves to San Antonio with Jim Cullum Jazz Band

Norman Vickers nvickers1 at cox.net
Tue Aug 10 14:22:13 PDT 2010

To: DJML and Musicians and Jazzfans lists

From: Norman Vickers, Jazz Society of Pensacola

Here's a note from jazz historian/drummer (etc) Hal Smith.  I'd written him
a congratulatory note and asked if he'd write something to post on the list.
Always gracious, he sends this to his friends and acquaintances.  Thanks,
Hal.

From: Hal Smith [mailto:hws08 at live.com]

It was difficult to decide whether to leave the musical groups I have been
involved with for years.  And I hated to resign from AFCDJS after 10+ years.
However, I am now working five nights a week with a world-class band,
playing music that I love!  The Jim Cullum Jazz Band is a wonderful musical
environment and I look forward to each and every gig with this great group.
The musicians could not have been nicer, or more welcoming, and I instantly
felt "at home" with them.

Fortunately, Jim was kind enough to let me off for some of my existing
commitments.  I am delighted to have another opportunity to make music next
year with the Carl Sonny Leyland Trio and the International Sextet
(Sacramento Jazz Festival) and with the New El Dorado Jazz Band and Bob
Schulz's Frisco Jazz Band (Fresno Mardi Gras and Chattanooga Traditional
Jazz Festival).  Later this year I am looking forward to playing with
Sonny's Trio and Tim Laughlin, Connie Jones and the New Orleans All-Stars
(Sweet & Hot Music Festival, San Diego Thanksgiving Dixieland Jazz
Festival), the Grand Dominion Jazz Band (Glacier Hot Jazz Stampede), Ray
Skjelbred and his Cubs (Puget Sound Traditional Jazz Society) and the Yerba
Buena Stompers (San Diego Thanksgiving Dixieland Jazz Festival).

Meanwhile, I continue to learn new routines, new arrangements and even new
songs at The Landing, on San Antonio's Riverwalk where the Jim Cullum Jazz
Band plays Tuesday through Saturday.  There are special occasions too, such
as a trio gig on the Landing patio--with The Boss on cornet and the fabulous
John Sheridan on piano!  From time to time I also have opportunities to play
with my musical friends in Austin.  (The "Live Music Capital of the World"
is just a quick drive up I-35 from San Antonio).

Anyone who knows about my non-musical interests will quickly figure out that
I moved to a good place...the Alamo in Downtown San Antonio...Texas Ranger
Museum in Waco...Railroad Heritage Museum in Temple..."Snake Farm" in New
Braunfels...Bar-B-Q in Luling...Mexican Food at Mi Tierra in San
Antone...and a Roadrunner in the parking lot of the H-E-B grocery in
Schertz!  Yep, this was the right move!