[Dixielandjazz] 'Treme' Part 3

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Thu Aug 12 15:44:27 PDT 2010

Further to David M Richoux's comment and my reply:

> I was surprised the article did not mention his story being woven into the HBO "Treme" series - he was represented by Japanese actor Tatsuo Ichikawa as "Koichi Toyama."

Dear Dave,
By coincidence, that storyline (Episode 5) was broadcast here on Wednesday night.
Wonderful. Particularly the argument regarding Kid Ory and King Oliver's 1923 Creole Jazz Band.
It is these accurate little research things that make the series believable.
As Nita Hemeter, from New Orleans confirmed in her last email.
In June-July 1995 I toured Germany for a month with the Australian group, the Hot Gossip Jazz Band, during which we detoured to The Netherlands for a one-off appearance at the 20th North Sea Jazz Festival.
The band that followed us on stage was a brass band from New Orleans, composed mainly of young musicians.
Backstage, during the changeover break after our performance, several of these musicians from the NO enthusiastically congratulated us and expressed amazement that Australians knew and could play their Classic Jazz music so well.
I have never been able to recall the name of that New Orleans band, but assumed later that it was probably the Rebirth group.
Yesterday, I finally dug out and checked the North Sea Festival concert programme.
It was the Treme Brass Band!
Wow.
Coincidence No. 2.
At that time the Treme Brass Band included the following musicians:
James Andrews, Kermit Ruffins (t) Corey Henry (tb) Kirk Joseph or Jeffrey Hills (tu) Fredric "Fred" Kemp (sop/as) Elliot Callier or Roger Lewis (ts) Lionel Batiste (b-d,vcl) Benny Jones (snare-d).
How many of them made the trip to The Hague, I do not know.
Very kind regards,
Bill.
Sydney, Australia.