[Dixielandjazz] Summertime

Harry Callaghan meetmrcallaghan at gmail.com
Mon Aug 9 02:57:17 PDT 2010

If we're going to start throwing around names like Patrice Munsel, Eileen
Farrell and Helen Traubel, we dare not leave out Leona Anderson.

If you've never heard her, I would have to say that she is indescribable but
I do have her recordings of "Indian Love Call" and "Habanera"

People have sometimes referred to Ethel Merman as "champion hog caller"
Well, if the hogs got to hear Leona, they would be driven off to the next
county

BTW:  I might go so far as to say that one of my favorite renditions of
"Summertime" was by Sam Cooke.but it was overshadowed by the flipside, his
major hit "You Send Me".......Janis Joplin's interpretation of it I would
prefer not discussing at all..

Tides
HC

--
Some men see things as they are and say why....I dream things that never
were and say why not            -