[Dixielandjazz] What do you do for a living? - We don't get no respect.

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 7 08:00:45 PDT 2010

Dan Barrett posted about people in jazz who go unrecognized. Reminds
me of the anecdote from Oscar Peterson as reported in the Gene Lee's
biography of OP. Paraphrasing here:

Oscar Peterson (by then a world renowned jazz pianist) was standing
outside his hotel in London waiting for a cab when he noticed a
portly, older gentlemen standing next to him. It was Charles Laughton.
Oscar, a movie buff just had to compliment him:

"Mr Laughton, I just want to let you know how much I have enjoyed your
work in the Theater arts."

Laughton graciously thanks him adding:

"And what do you do for a living young man?"

"I'm a jazz pianist."

Now you can picture the gleam in Laughton's eyes and that trademark
owlish look as he replied:

"A jazz musician eh? Do you have any pot?

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband