[Dixielandjazz] The Music of Kenny Davern

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 7 07:43:42 PDT 2010

On Aug 6, 2010, at 7:17 PM, Bill Haesler wrote:

> Marek Boym wrote:
>> Sorry, Steve, but J 001 is by Tony parenti and His New Orleanians -
>> the first Jazzology session ever recorded.  Excellent stuff, even if
>> some of the New Orleanians come from other parts of the US.
>
> Dear Marek,
> Steve has correctly reported the release details for this session:
> "That session is included. Jazzology JCD 197, and cassette JC 001.
> London, November 24 1985. Along with a note that one of the tunes,
> "Willie The Weeper" was also issued on RRMC 1004 as a limited
> edition cassette entitled "John Petters Meets The International
> Legends of Traditional Jazz." ."
>
> The Jazzology JCD 197 (which I have) was  originally issued on
> cassette (Jazz JC 001) by John Petters and is not one of George
> Buck's series of labels.
> The 1949 Tony Parenti session you mention was initially released on
> LP (Jazzology JCE-1) and reissued on CD in 1989 (Jazzology JCD-1).
> I have both.
> Very kind regards,
> Pedantic old Bill.

Dear Bill:

Thank you. What really cracks me up is that you posted on June 4, 2009
on the same subject re a question by Tito Martino to wit: (snipped)

Dear Tito:

Could it be listmate John Petters cassette Jazz JC-001 later released
on Jazzology JCD 197 . . . Kenny Davern (cl) Martin Litton (p) Jon
Petters (d)
. . . recorded London November 24, 1985 . . .

Marek, before you attempt to nitpik, you might carefully check your
sources, album designations, etc.. Example; JC-001 is quite different
from  JCE-1 or JCD-1. CD stands for a CD, C stands for a cassette, etc.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband