[Dixielandjazz] The Music of Kenny Davern

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Fri Aug 6 16:17:42 PDT 2010

Marek Boym wrote:
> Sorry, Steve, but J 001 is by Tony parenti and His New Orleanians -
> the first Jazzology session ever recorded.  Excellent stuff, even if
> some of the New Orleanians come from other parts of the US.

Dear Marek,
Steve has correctly reported the release details for this session:
"That session is included. Jazzology JCD 197, and cassette JC 001.  London, November 24 1985. Along with a note that one of the tunes, "Willie The Weeper" was also issued on RRMC 1004 as a limited edition cassette entitled "John Petters Meets The International Legends of Traditional Jazz." ."

The Jazzology JCD 197 (which I have) was  originally issued on cassette (Jazz JC 001) by John Petters and is not one of George Buck's series of labels.
The 1949 Tony Parenti session you mention was initially released on LP (Jazzology JCE-1) and reissued on CD in 1989 (Jazzology JCD-1).
I have both.
Very kind regards,
Pedantic old Bill.