[Dixielandjazz] Tony Parenti

J. D. Bryce brycejd at comcast.net
Sat Aug 7 07:58:26 PDT 2010

Tony Parenti was an extraordinary musician and a sweet man.  I had the honor
of playing with him near the end of his life.  He was playing with Tommy
Fox's band at a place on Route 17 in New Jersey.  I wasn't booked on the job
and went just to hear him, but Tony was having such trouble with his throat,
that the guys called me up on stage to "spell" him.  There is no question
that I, or even the rest of the band were up to his skill level, but he was
greatful to me for helping and even requested that I be booked with him for
the next week at the club.  He was generous in his praise and gracious
throughout.

I don't know if this was the last job he played but he passed soon after
from throat cancer.  This memory is one of my fondest in jazz.

Jack Bryce
  late of the Sheiks of Dixie and the Buffalo Disaster Jazz Band