[Dixielandjazz] Tributes and copying

Harry Callaghan meetmrcallaghan at gmail.com
Wed Aug 4 17:38:22 PDT 2010

The first time I ever heard the Ted Heath orchestra, more years ago than I
care to remembet, it became evident to me that, while not attempting to copy
any one, he was obviously influenced by the many bandleaders of our big band
era.

On the other hand, while making no attempt to conceal his efforts at
duplicating the original arrangements, Glen Gray made a series of albums
paying tribute to those who came to prominence during that period.

He initially went with the most popular, Dorsey, Goodman, Miller, Shaw ,
etc.and tollowed that with those not quite so popular.

Then, after pretty much exhausting eforts at imitating them,in what one
might call their "natural habitat" he did something I considered
rather unique.

He recorded an album of tunes that were current but in the styles of those
big band leaders.  I have the album but it's not convenient to get to right
now.

One number that immediately comes to mind is "Washington Square" which was a
major hit for the Village Stompers. However, Gray performed it in the style
of Artie Shaw's "Nightmare"

Quite interesting to say the very least.

Tides
HC

--
Some men see things as they are and say why....I dream things that never
were and say why not            -