[Dixielandjazz] Emmett Berry (was Earle Warren's Jacket)

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Fri Apr 30 16:42:42 PDT 2010

ROBERT R. CALDER wrote (in part):
> Arguably Berry played the greatest of all trumpet solos recorded in the 1940s.
> The label was SAVOY and I thought Bill Haesler would have fun telling us the name of the track.
> It's not a long solo, but ...    Yikes!

Dear Robert,
You are leading me into deep water here.
*>)
If you mean the Illinois Jacquet Savoy's I can't comment, as I've never heard them.
However the two 1944 Cosy Cole sessions are a different matter.
In which case it is probably the up-tempo "Old Man River" (coincidentally recorded 66 years ago today, 1st May) or perhaps "Wrap You're Troubles In Dreams" from the same session with pianist Johnny Guarnieri and the three tenors, Hawkins, Foots Thomas and Bud Johnson.
If not, please reply and nominate your choice.
I suppose my first listening contact with Emmett Berry was via LP and his work on Commodore with Ed Hall's Sextet (18 Dec 1943), the 1955 Jimmy Rushing Vanguards and a 1956 Paris concert LP with pianist Sammy Price.
A great unsung trumpet player, who always kept good company.
Very kind regards,
Bill.