[Dixielandjazz] Question for any New Orleans residents out there.

Phil Wilking philwilking at bellsouth.net
Fri Apr 23 17:40:33 PDT 2010

I live in Metairie, the suburb just to the west of the N. O. city line. I
can't speak about the safety of the apartment, but surely the colleges and
universities have some housing information offices which you can call to ask
about that.

I think you are absolutely correct to forbid bicyling between apartment and
work at night, and I would worry about it at any time. Even if she didn't
have to pass through some seedy areas, Louisiana drivers are a different
species from California drivers. Not just speeding through congested areas,
but they have no idea of what a turn signal is for, they simply do not see
bicycles and motorcycles, they blow through stop signs, etc. I once stopped
to thank a sheriff's deputy who was radar gunning speeders in a residential
area  (you never saw a more surprised officer) and he told me that it was
rarely worth while to write a traffic ticket, because at least ½ of them
were "fixed."

Phil Wilking

Those who would exchange freedom for
security deserve neither freedom nor security.