[Dixielandjazz] JAZZ WAX ARTICLE - The death trap of early jazz.

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 21 14:24:26 PDT 2010

On Apr 21, 2010, at 3:28 PM, Bert Brandsma wrote: (polite snip)

> A much more possitive story :
> A couple of weeks we played as soloist with a large wind orchestra.
>
> I allready gave the youtube link :  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yR7Vbltj0U
>
> After the concert the Dixieland Crackerjacks played the after party,
> a dance attended by esp. the younger people of the orchestra : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRyiFxdzNl0
>
> They were very enthousiastic and bought a lot of CDs.
> In fact after the dance they had their own late night after party
> and insisted that the DJ there played our CD, since they wanted to
> hear the music again.
>
> I felt very happy when I heard that. Not everything is hopeless for
> our music.

Dear Bert:

Wholeheartedly agree, the future for our music is bright.

I started posting about that on the DJML when the Ken Burns TV series
debuted here in the USA. Since that time, my band has had a good run.
Especially with the kids. We target them for our major audience, since
we do not travel much anymore. So, to gig at all, we have to be
popular with them, and we are. It is not hard to do. We just play in
venues where the young people are, and they love the music and us.

Don't get me started on playing for the young people, it bores most
list mates.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband