[Dixielandjazz] JAZZ WAX ARTICLE - The death trap of early jazz.

Bert Brandsma mister_bertje at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 21 12:28:59 PDT 2010

It is not only young people who think jazz started after WW2,  the conservatories in my country teach it that way.Modern Avant garde jazz is heavily sponsored by our government, tradjazz is not interesting.In one history schoolbook here it is written that Dixieland is a bad, cheap imitation of the original black New Orleans Jazz. No explanation, it is just stated that simple.I asked : what about Bix, Adrian Rollini, Jack Teagarden???? No reply.

After my studies I once attended a master class by Lee Konitz.He knew what he was talking about.
At first he let the students play. Then after a while he asked if there where question about things the students wanted to learn.They all came with questions about playing outside harmony and altered scales, that kind of stuff.
Konitz reply was: none of the students I heard today is ready to learn that.All go back to the record shop and buy a Louis Armstrong CD, first start to learn the grammar of jazz and basics of the blues.I thought that he was so right. The students even didn't know Armstrong played trumpet, thought he was a singer.... well they were partly right.....
But the problem is that a lot of conservatory teachers don't know Armstrong, or Ellington, for the matter.Sure they know Take The A Train as a standard, but even forget all the arrangement details.Also a lot don't even know I got Rhythm has a few extra bars at the last A.Once I found myself in a jam session with these kind of teachers. They wanted to play I Got Rhythm.I asked do you want to play the last A with the extra bars? They glanced at me and said.. What? Nobody does.....I replied, then Benny Goodman and Louis Armstrong must be Nobody! They solo on these extra bars on all their records.

A much more possitive story :A couple of weeks we played as soloist with a large wind orchestra.
I allready gave the youtube link :  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yR7Vbltj0U
After the concert the Dixieland Crackerjacks played the after party, a dance attended by esp. the younger people of the orchestra : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRyiFxdzNl0
They were very enthousiastic and bought a lot of CDs.In fact after the dance they had their own late night after party and insisted that the DJ there played our CD, since they wanted to hear the music again.
I felt very happy when I heard that. Not everything is hopeless for our music.
Kind regards,
Bert Brandsma