[Dixielandjazz] Newcomers To Jazz

richard.flecknell at ntlworld.com richard.flecknell at ntlworld.com
Wed Apr 21 13:18:26 PDT 2010

Good Evening Steve,

from my experience the newcomer often has already listened and liked Jazz without necessarily knowing that it was.
Adverts often use Jazz or near Jazz recordings. Over here, UK, we've had Mad About The Boy (Dinah Washington), God Bless The Child (Billie Holiday), Jeepers Creepers (Louis Armstrong), a Mingus track (can't recall which track), a QOHC styled song (Martin Taylor), even Thelonius Monk tune (not him playing it), Every Time We Say Goodbye (Ella Fitzgerald).

So if exposed to Jazz, that's the problem we know of course, people start to enjoy it.  Radio exposure ~ forget it.

Traditional Jazz has even less chance than the later styles.

My choices of the top of my head

Dinah Washington (Mercury)
Lee Morgan (Sidewinder)
Dave Brubeck (Take Five, Rondo a la Turk)
Herbie Hancock (Watermelon Man)
Billie Holiday (Verve ... you get Peterson, Edison, Webster, Shavers etc)
Helen Humes (Contemporary ~ that way you get Carter and Rosolino)
Ella & Louis
Mel Torme (Comin' Home Baby, my daughter 18 likes that, but Torme didn't)
Fats Waller (Hold My Hand, funnily enough my daughters like the songs such Curly Hair In A High Chair)
Louis Armstrong (St.Louis Blues ~ WC Handy album)
Glenn Miller (String Of Pearls ... you know on that)
Louis Prima (Buona Sera)

Hopefully after taking those in I could ease them backwards in time, bit by bit.

Hot Five, Creole Band, you're joking!

Richard