[Dixielandjazz] Long tunes

macjazz macjazz at comcast.net
Wed Apr 14 17:26:57 PDT 2010

It is interesting to consider "long tunes," but it is also interesting to consider why tunes/exchanges etc aren't longer.  I would suggest it is the tyranny of the 78 rpm record which limited everything to less than 3 minutes.

I would suggest it set a standard that was well in place by the LP Era and we have never moved away from it.  It is just the length that "seems right."  We have always heard things that way and we have always thought that way.

Now we have to decide if that makes it "right."