[Dixielandjazz] Buck Clayton Jam Session LP

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Wed Apr 14 21:19:12 PDT 2010

Dear Jack, Steve and all,
As indicated earlier, I have dug out and replayed the Buck Clayton 1953 Jam Sessions LP "Robbin's Nest/The Hucklebuck" after many years.
I started with the musically perfect and relaxing "Nest".
Thoroughly enjoyable.
I must  be getting mellower in my old age. (Gradually catching up to you Jack.)
Then found that it is a splice of two 'takes'.
"The Hucklebuck" (a song that I have never liked from when it was hit in 1949) followed and proved to be a good tune for improvising for the stellar Clayton team.
However, it also revealed to me why I rarely played the Columbia LP.
It had its moments, but little emotional appeal for me. In fact, I was tempted to take it off halfway through, as I have done on previous occasions.
It should have been wound up about two thirds of the way through.
A single 'take' too, so they must have been happy, as evidenced by the general acclamation at the finish.
Notwithstanding, I suppose I really should now listen to the complete Mosaic 6CD set.
After all, that is why I bought it.
Perhaps, I'll start with the nearly half-hour long "Christopher Columbus" (a good jamming tune for those still on the 'Long Songs' thread) and work my way through chronologically year by year.
One-eyed?
Me?
I think you may be right Steve.
I know Jack thinks so.