[Dixielandjazz] Long Songs

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Wed Apr 14 14:22:52 PDT 2010

Stephen G Barbone wrote [in part]:
> So If ozmate BH doesn't listen to it, I can only attribute it to his being one eyed.

Dear Steve,
Wot? Me one-eyed?
8>)

> For me there is a world of communicative difference between Mezzrow and Pee Wee Russell. (see BH's earlier post on that)

You appear to have misread me.
What I said was, "Unfortunately, many people used to put Mezzrow down as a musician. I never knew why, but it was often those silly 'critics' who also hated Pee Wee Russell's playing."
Of course there is, most certainly, a world of difference between Mezz and Pee Wee musically.
I was referring to those people who dismiss the playing of both as being 'incompetent' and 'childlike'.
I love Pee Wee's playing. And can happily accept Mezz as a very competent jazzman.
His 1945 King Jazz recordings with Sidney Bechet proved that.
Kind regards,
Bill (who has just dug out the Clayton 'Jam Session' LP for a re-listen).