[Dixielandjazz] The Beatles' music

Harry Callaghan meetmrcallaghan at gmail.com
Mon Apr 12 19:31:12 PDT 2010

I regret that I can't assist you in your quest for an "all-Dixieland
Beatles album".

However, I am in the process of putting together one of my
"Callaghan's Corner" programs for Radio OKOM that I will be calling
"Beatles Music for People Who Didn't Like The Beatles".

Thus far, it will be including numbers penned by Lennon-McCartney &
George Harrison as recorded by Frank Sinatra, Andy Williams, Carmen
McRae, Maynard Ferguson, Sergio Mendes, John Pizzarelli and a few
others that don't come to mind right this very minute.

Trouble is, us program providers can't pinpoint exactly when a
specific program will be aired and are told to anticipate an
approximate 2-month delay from the time programs are submitted to the
Radio OKOM homebase in Lafayette (northern) NJ.

I think there are about (8) of us at present, Although two are
deceased, Joe Klee and Bud Merigold, their programs continue to run.
Joe, as you may recall, was a writer with Mississippi Rag, and Bud was
a deejay on commercial radio in the NY area for several years.

Others are Dave Slater from California, who calls his program "The
Harry Faversham Show" for reasons I won't go into, "Crazy Henry"
Newberger of Coram, LI. with his "57 Minutes You'll Never Get Back",
Bruce "Bear" Whitehouse of Olympia, WA, with his "Bear's Den". as well
as programs by OKOM's founder "Tiger Bill" Taggart and Program
Director and my friend of 56 years, Bruce McNichols, who founded the
Smith Street Society Jazz Band in 1963.

But, how could I possibly leave out Lise Avery with "Anything Goes"?.
Lise's music runs more to the "cabaret" style, with only light touches of jazz.

The music on Radio OKOM is predominantly of a dixieland variety
whereas my own program is more music of the big band era with some
dixie, blues and a little of everything but rap/hip hop thrown in.
for good measure.  I have even been known to play Willie Nelson.

Give us a listen at okom.com........we won't bite, I promise..

Tides,
HC.