[Dixielandjazz] The Beatles' music

W1AB at aol.com W1AB at aol.com
Mon Apr 12 16:24:07 PDT 2010

OK, here's another  request....

    I'm a fan of the Beatles and their  music.  Many of the songs that
Lennon and McCartney wrote are remarkably  good, and lend themselves well to
various musical idioms.

    In my CD collection, there is a pretty  large subset of Beatles' music
played by various types of groups -- Bluegrass,  modern jazz, Chet
Atkins, the cello section of the Berlin Philharmonic ("Cello  Submarine"),
symphony orchestras, etc.  The main criterion for the CDs is  that every
track on a CD must be of the Beatles' music.

    Alas, I have never yet found a CD  cut by a Dixieland band that is ALL
Beatles' music, even though a  lot of Beatles' tunes lend themselves quite
well to traditional jazz treatment,  such as "When I'm 64," and "All My
Loving."

    Does anyone know of such a CD?   If so, I would very much appreciate
information on it.

    Getting back to "Cello Submarine"  ...  About ten years ago, my wife
Maggie and I were staying in a timeshare  in Scotland, enjoying a relaxing
vacation in the land of her mother's  birth.  We were walking along the
downtown area one day and I noticed a  sidewalk sale at the town's library.  Of
course, I had to rummage through  their offerings, and I found the "Cello
Submarine" cassette tape.  I bought  it on the cheap, brought it home, and
transferred it to CD.  It is a  wonderful album!

    OK, ladies and gentlemen ... operators  are standing by for your