[Dixielandjazz] Tunes on a CD (was Back to Asylum Street Spankers)

Allan Brown allanbrown at dsl.pipex.com
Tue Apr 13 01:11:16 PDT 2010

Ginny, you write so well about music. All your posts are a delight.

You articulated something I wasn't even aware of at the time of writing my original post but it's an interesting question to ponder on.

There are a couple bands around Brighton, here in the UK, that are very much in the spirit of the Asylum Street Spankers and I love catching them live. But I realise I've never tried to get hold of any of their CD's despite them being excellent musicians. Perhaps, songs with a more comedic bent are just better suited for the passing ephemeral moment and don't translate to repeated listening.

For the last few years Brighton, with it's long tradition of saucy seaside entertainment, there seems to have been a blossoming of Burlesque nights. More often than not the music of choice is bands playing music from the 20's and 30's, cabaret, swing etc. as well as early rock 'n roll. For the most part these bands don't seem to be recording CDs, they just sort of come together for occasion. And whilst the music may be a bit loose and chaotic at times, and probably wouldn't stand up to close and repeated listening, it works perfectly on the night.

(I must add that, frustratingly, I don't get to catch many of these nights, but I have pals that play in some of these bands and my wife Alex is a dab hand with the sewing machine and creates marvellous costumes for Burlesque dancers, Drag Queens and carnival processions etc. so I've got my ear to the ground.)

Whilst there has always been great jazz players round these parts, I think partly off the back of the resurgence of Burlesque/ Cabaret scene, as well as the general folk revival there has been astonishing blossoming of appreciation of old time music. For about a decade and a half electronic dance music dominated the scene - you were hard pressed to even hear an electric guitar- however the last few years has seen ukulele and banjo sales blossoming and more and more people seem to be playing and listening to old time music and playing acoustically. (Perhaps I'm just getting old here!)

Loved that 'Original Wildcat Jass Band' clip.

Best,

Allan