[Dixielandjazz] Jazz Violinists

Harry Callaghan meetmrcallaghan at gmail.com
Fri Apr 9 11:35:46 PDT 2010

Charlie:

Since you brought up the subject of western swing and appear to be well
versed on the subject, I'm wondering if you are familiar with a group called
Ole Rasmussen and his Nebraska Cornhuskers.

Contrary to their name, they were actually a group based in California that
patterned itself
after Bob Wills' Texas Playboys.and recorded for Capitol during the 40s &
50s

Some months ago, a friend presented me with her deceased father's 45
collection and I came across a recording by Ole, it was Duke Ellington's
"C-Jam Blues".  While I was again listening to it a little while ago, I
realized it was later turned into "Let Me Off at Duke's Place"
It's pretty scratchy but what a terrific interpretation of Duke's
composition.

I looked to see if I could come up with other material by him on Amazon but
the only CD shown was a little rich for my blood.  However, they offer a
decent selection of MP3s that can be downloaded at 99 cents each, a few of
them also being Ellington compositions, so
I'll probably be going that route.

And then, we also can't forget 2006 Texas Independent Gubernatorial
candidate Kinky Friedman (19% of votes cast) who had a group he called the
Texas Jewboys.

Tides
HC