[Dixielandjazz] RE. Selective Hearing Loss - "SUGAR" WILLIE on BANJO PLAYERS

Nancy Doran Giffin nancyink at surewest.net
Fri Sep 18 13:59:48 PDT 2009

REGARDING
> Message: 1
> Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 12:37:55 -0700
> From: "Robert Newman" <bobngaye at surewest.net>
> Subject: [Dixielandjazz] Selective Hearing Loss

Greetings, Mr. Newman, Ginny, and everyone,

Since the topic of banjos came up, I want to share something written by "SUGAR" Willie Erickson that will be appearing in the October issue of AATJ (the STJS newsletter).

Please, don't take offense, banjo players. I myself wanted to play banjo as a kid, so I'm not sharing this in a bad way. I just think it's classic "Sugar" Willie.

Love and hugs,
Nancy

"SUGAR" WILLIE Erickson on BANJO PLAYERS

       In my lifetime, I’ve worked closely with countless banjoists; some have been the very best:  Don Palthe, Will Tallacksen, Ralph Thompson, Henry Lea and many more.  We’ve learned a lot from one another.  I’ve concluded that there are different, distinct styles of banjo playing. They are: the strummer, chunker, plunker, stroker, virtuoso and picker (as in 5-string bluegrass).  There is one more style that I’ve only heard of but have never seen; it’s called the “whacker.”  The pick is held very firm while the strings are whacked on the after-beats—fast, hard and loud.  With each whack, the left hand releases the strings instantly thus making the whack extremely short.  The banjo becomes strictly a rhythm instrument when executed as such.  During the banjo solos, of course, it’s a whole new ball game.
	Having a strong whackin’ banjoist in a trad band makes for a tight, cohesive, snappy group.  Any banjoist who both whacks and solos would be in heavy demand.  Bands would fall all over themselves to get someone like that.  I know a guy down in Modesto who’s fairly good at whackin’ banjo ... Does it all the time.  Problem is, he’s not a soloist.
	I’ve been keeping contact with Don Palthe about this matter.  He said:  Turk Murphy was looking for a banjo player to take with him on a European tour, back in the ‘50s.  I tried out for him and he told me after we played just one song, “I just want you to whack it on the off-beat.  I don’t want all that other stuff.”  I couldn’t stand doing that, so there went my trip to Europe!
	As to how whackin’ is supposed to sound, please e-mail me at <sugarwillie at gmail.com> and I will send you an mp3 demo attachment.
        “SUGAR” WILLIE