[Dixielandjazz] Eddie Condon

Ken Mathieson ken at kenmath.free-online.co.uk
Tue Sep 15 13:31:24 PDT 2009

Hi All,

I had the good fortune to work with a number of musicians who had been longstanding members of Eddie Condon's bands, such as Bud Freeman, Wild Bill, Peanuts Hucko, Dick Cary etc. On more than one occasion, I asked how good a player was Condon, since he didn't solo and was generally submerged in a rhythm section. The response was always that he had great time and really knew his chords, to the extent that he and his pianists generally had no disputes about chords or passing harmony. He really knew how to take care of business and was only a passenger on the bandstand if the tastes had been too prolific, although, even then, his capacity for alcohol was pretty legendary.

Cheers,

Ken Mathieson,
www.classicjazzorchestra.org.uk