[Dixielandjazz] Flying with Instruments in US

Randy Fendrick jfendrick at bak.rr.com
Thu Sep 10 09:47:47 PDT 2009

In the election of 92? Dan Quayle came to B-field and our band was
hired by the Republican National Committee to play at the airport.
Part of the instructions were that we had to be there two hours before
Quayle's arrival.  In addition, our instruments and the players were
quarantined during that time, so that instruments could be inspected
at their convenience, while the band remained away from the bar.  You
should have heard the band complain.=-)!  Of course, this was sometime
before 9/11.  In 88, we played for Michael Dukakis as he made a
whistle stop tour up the Central Valley of California and there was
absolutely no inspection.  We were on a hay trailer positioned next to
the train car.  I can imagine what would happen today.
later,
Randy Fendrick
Southside Chicago Seven.