[Dixielandjazz] Flying with Instruments -- Secret Service

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Thu Sep 10 07:48:14 PDT 2009

Jim Kashishian wrote regarding getting musical instruments through security at airports in Europe:

> Security has no interest in the horn at all. It just slides (pun!)through
> the scanner. Contrary to that, if I have only my mouthpiece with me, this
> usually draws great attention at the scanner!  Go figure!
>
> Funny security story:  when our band played for the Royal Wedding in Madrid
> in 2004, we had to pass multiple security checks to reach the stage where we
> played.  Yep, look inside the case!  Yep, it's a trombone!  But, no one ever
> looked inside the bell of the horn where I had my collapseable K & M
> trombone stand inserted.  What else could one get up inside the horn?

When George Bush Senior was VP and running for President, my band was hired to play at a fund raising dinner for him at Jerry Weintrobe's house.  Jerry was the head of Tri-Star Pictures and married to an ex singer from the TV show, "Your Hit Parade.

The drummer and I went in early to set up.  We were instructed to go into the house, upstairs, through one of the bedrooms and out onto a little balcony which was on top of the front door entrance.

The house had been swept for security by the Secret Service earlier.

We got all set up without anyone looking in my banjo case or in the drummer's cases.

Later, when the rest of the musicians arrived, the Secret Service was back and checked their instrument cases  very thoroughly.

We were playing on the balcony as the motorcade arrived.  The VP got out of his car and was walking towards us shaking hands with people.  He walked right underneath us.  I could have spit on his head.

Since no one had looked in our cases, we could have shot him at point-blank range, or dropped a stick of dynamite on his head.

I figure that was a huge blunder by the Secret Service.

As a side note, being in Beverly hills, lots of famous actors, etc were there.  Later, while we were playing off of the balcony, Frank Sinatra walked by us and gave us the high sign with a big smile.  He seemed to be enjoying the music.

 --Bob (Now where'd they put that damn piano) Ringwald

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4414 (20090910) __________

http://www.eset.com