[Dixielandjazz] Flying with Instruments in US

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Thu Sep 10 01:11:30 PDT 2009

We covered this subject a few yrs back on djml, but I guess things can
change quickly on these matters.  I can't say much about internal U.S.
flights, but, on international flights, I see people getting on board with
guitars & electric basses in soft bags all the time.  I have no problems
going on board with my Yamaha trombone hard case.  No one even looks!

It is important, though, to get on as early as possible, as problems will
arise if the overhead bins are already full.  My horn sits upright at the
back of the bin allowing others to put bags in front of it...., but you have
to be there first!

Security has no interest in the horn at all. It just slides (pun!)through
the scanner. Contrary to that, if I have only my mouthpiece with me, this
usually draws great attention at the scanner!  Go figure!

Funny security story:  when our band played for the Royal Wedding in Madrid
in 2004, we had to pass multiple security checks to reach the stage where we
played.  Yep, look inside the case!  Yep, it's a trombone!  But, no one ever
looked inside the bell of the horn where I had my collapseable K & M
trombone stand inserted.  What else could one get up inside the horn?
I should change the title to this story as it is not really funny at all!

Jim