[Dixielandjazz] More is Better? Not Necessarily

Ken Mathieson ken at kenmath.free-online.co.uk
Thu Sep 3 12:42:43 PDT 2009

Hi Steve et al,

Steve wrote:

I think in most cases, where a strict schedule has to be followed, one
should follow it.

Another very good reason for not running over schedule in a theatre gig is that most theatre hire agreements will have an overtime clause, which can sometimes be penal. It's one very good reason why festival promoters who use theatres get very excited about bands running over their slots.

When I used to play on it, the Sacramento Jubilee used to have a very strict policy of "hit on time, quit on time", especially in the days when there were gigs all over the city and transportation for bands and audiences had to run like clockwork. If I remember correctly, their site managers had to fill in a report on each performance and one of the critical items was start/finish punctuality. A band that was consistently sloppy about this could expect not to be invited back. Is it still the same, Bob?

Regards,

Ken Mathieson
www.classicjazzorchestra.org.uk