[Dixielandjazz] More is Better? Not Necessarily

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Thu Sep 3 13:17:49 PDT 2009

 Ken Mathieson wrote regarding the Sacramento Jazz Jubilee now called the Sacramento Jazz Festival:

> When I used to play on it, the Sacramento Jubilee used to have a very strict policy of "hit on time, quit on time", especially in the days when there were gigs all over the city and transportation for bands and audiences had to run like clockwork. If I remember correctly, their site managers had to fill in a report on each performance and one of the critical items was start/finish punctuality. A band that was consistently sloppy about this could expect not to be invited back. Is it still the same, Bob?

Yes.  While the venues are not spread out as much as they used to be, the schedule still must be kept.  If not, it messes up everything.  Bands are very good about keeping their schedule these days.

 As I have played every Sacramento Festival, I remember one year, in the very early days, a band played over their allotted time.  This caused other bands to be late and the lateness spread out throughout the festival.  It was chaos.  When you have close to 100 bands performing on a schedule , the schedule must be kept.

As far as I know, this only happened once.

--Bob Ringwald

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4392 (20090903) __________

http://www.eset.com