[Dixielandjazz] More is Better? Not Necessarily

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 3 11:16:05 PDT 2009

Best advice I ever got about playing overtime and doing multiple
encores was from an old pro who said:

"Always leave the audience wanting more."

We often get shouted at for encores. We usually play just one. Then if
they scream for more, we plead old age. Audiences seem to understand
that we gave everything we had.

Another tip is to play "The Saints" as an encore. That seems to
indicate that the concert is over. And, if we sense that we are going
to get shouted at for an encore, with another band to follow, we end
the concert a couple of minutes early, and then do the "Saints"
encore, ending just a minute or 2 overtime.

I think in most cases, where a strict schedule has to be followed, one
should follow it.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband