[Dixielandjazz] Hank Tausend

John Blegen jcblegen at sbcglobal.net
Fri Oct 16 06:49:29 PDT 2009

Hank Tausend, a Chicago drummer and percussionist who led several jazz bands in the area for many years passed away on October 14.  Here is a message from his wife, Iris, with the details:

I'm sorry to tell you that my husband Hank Tausend died last night October 14 at 10:30 PM of congestive heart failure at Northwestern Memorial Hospital.  His brother Fred, niece Jessica and I were with him and It was very peaceful.
He went to the hospital on September 22 with shortness of breath.  He was diagnosed with congestive heart failure and responded well to treatment.  He went home onSeptember 30.  He wasn't feeling right and on Saturday October 3
I took him back to the hospital.  About 6 hours after he was admitted he went into cardiac arrest.  He was resuscitated and put under sedation.  After 72 hours he woke up with full neurological responses.  The doctors were able to stabilize his heart, but unfortunately his lungs were weak and scarred refusing to respond.  He had asthma since childhood.  He didn't want to die and although he was a little guy he put up a big fight.
There will be visitation on Sunday 10/18 from 3-7 at Weinstein Funeral Home, 111 Skokie Blvd. in Wilmette.  The funeral will be Monday October 19 at 1PM at Temple Menorah 2800 W. Sherwin.
Please pass this on to anyone you think should know.
Sincerely,
Iris

John Blegen
Evanston, IL