[Dixielandjazz] How I discovered Bunk and George

Ken Gates kwg28 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Oct 15 07:14:46 PDT 2009

My early years of music listening was to the swing band pop sounds of the early 40's.
I didn't play an instrument, didn't really think about trying to.  But I was a good and
faithful listener.  By age 15 or so, wanting to be "hip", I would take the bus and streetcar
to downtown Los Angeles to the Philharmonic auditorium for Jazz at the Philharmonic.
I had no idea that I was at the beginning stages of the evolution to bop or even any idea
of what the likes of Willie Smith (alto sax), Howard McGee, Shorty Cherock--these are
the names I remember--were trying to do.  I liked the way they started and ended the tunes
(ensemble in swing/dixieland style), but the interminable solos in between were unfathomable
to me.  Unrelenting in my desire to be hip, I found myself in the Hollywood bowl at a Stan
Kenton concert featuring his really big band playing his new arrangements of big band bop.
Seemed like there were a platoon of trumpets in competition for playing the highest notes
of all time--and maybe succeeding.

For some reason, I was compelled to look around at the audience-- not an empty seat.
What I saw were intent faces and body language seemingly obsessed with great effort to
"get it".  Some inner voice whispered to me that there is no joy of music to be found at
this place tonight and that I must seek elsewhere to find that joy.

The next day I was at the Jazzman record shop for the first time---a friend had recommended
that place to me.  In answer to my request to find "happy" music, the latest 78s in album form-
I think there were 4 records in the set--featuring the Bunk Johnson band of their New York
band of Lewis, Robinson, etc were offered. They played some samples of it.  I was hooked
immediately.  I hadn't heard that "primitive" sound before---and it did sound joyful.

I became a "mouldy figge"  and remained one for maybe a decade until I branched out to
Condon, Wild Bill, and wider forms of OKOM and other joyful sounds-including bluegrass.
During the 50's I attended the now legendary Beverly Caverns when my limited budged would
allow it---for George Lewis, Kid Ory, Teddy Buckner, Paul Barbarin---and of course, the
Firehouse 5 +2 (which wasn't my cup of tea)--not "pure" enough for my tastes at that time.

I have fond memories of my days as a unreconstructed purist, but I'm glad to have opened
up to most of the sounds of different styles with just the desire to hear it played well.

Ken Gates

PS--If you made it this far---thanks for listening.