[Dixielandjazz] Jim K ~ Ory ~ Rosolino ~ Winding

Jtnt at aol.com Jtnt at aol.com
Thu Oct 15 07:15:52 PDT 2009

Richard Flecknell wrote:

<<Superb Dukes and a most unusual Helicon player who I believe  can/did
play bop on it. He's certainly nippy on the Dukes session. I think he  was
called Ron Mathieson, not sure of spelling.>>

Close; it was Rich Matteson RIP who had previously played with Scobey's
band.

A couple stories:

When Scobey came to the Twin Cities (Mpls-St. Paul), '57-'58, we would be
there every night. Always had a front table right in front of Scobey so we
got  the front line playing right at us. Wife Nan had been chasing 2 toddlers
all day  long and was pretty tired by the time the 2nd set came along. One
night she  actually nodded off, asleep, with that front line blasting us.
Next night she  did it again. Rich came around to the front of the stage,
leaned over, put the  bell over head and gave her a wake up blast; she woke up.
After that it happened  every night; got so the regulars would be watching
for Nan to start  nodding off and gave her a hand when Rich woke her up  :-)

One night, the new pianist got lost on the way to the club. Set started
without him. Matteson sat at the piano playing helicon with one hand, piano
with  other.

We got transferred to CA spring '59 and were very happy to see an upcoming
concert advertised with both The Dukes and Scobey, our 2 favorites. But was
 disappointed when Scobey's band showed up w/o Matteson. Then pleasantly
surprised to see him when the Dukes came out.

Rich has always been one of my favorites, but there were many Mouldy Figges
 who never took to him complaining of "too many notes". They were probably
also  the ones who never took to the Dukes; some even calling them a "comedy
 band".  Wonder what those folks thought of FH5+2???  Another band that
joined the ranks of our favorites

Catch more Matteson stuff at   _http://www.richmatteson.com/_
(http://www.richmatteson.com/)

Jack Thomas