[Dixielandjazz] DeParis Dickenson et al was Buck Clayton & Terrassi's

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Oct 10 17:10:12 PDT 2009

On Oct 10, 2009, at 6:46 PM, Marek Boym wrote:

>> Clayton's experiences were similar to those of a lot of black, big
>> band
>> "swing" musicians around that time
>> in New York City. Big band swing gigs virtually disappeared and so
>> guys like
>> Clayton, Vic Dickenson, Jonah Jones, Wilbur DeParis, Sidney DeParis,
>

> I though so, too, until I heard the DeParis Brothers' Commodores, and
> later - Sidney de Pris' Blue Notes.  Other swing musicians (Webster,
> Eldridge) recorded swing for Commodore.  Not so the de Paris Brothers
> - they recorded Dixieland.  The de Paris band on Blue Note  also
> played dixieland.  So it seems that, for them, it was a matter of
> choice, not lack thereof.
> As to Dickenson and Sandy Williams - I don't know.  I first encounered
> both as Dixieland players (although, on some records, the numbers are
> Dixieland warhorses, but the playing is hardly Dixieland; for example
> - listen to The Golden Era of Dixieland Jazz on Design).

Dear Marek:

To what Commodore records do you refer? Here is Yanow's bio of Wilbur
DeParis:

Begin quote: "Wilbur DeParis, an adequate soloist, was an excellent
ensemble player and an important bandleader who helped keep New
Orleans jazz alive in the 1950s. He started out on alto horn and in
1922 played C-melody sax while working with A.J. Piron before
switching permanently to trombone. In 1925, DeParis led a band in
Philadelphia and then had stints in the orchestras of Leroy Smith
(1928), Dave Nelson, Noble Sissle, Edgar Hayes, Teddy Hill
(1936-1937), the Mills Blue Rhythm Band, and Louis Armstrong
(1937-1940). Not as well-known as his brother, the talented trumpet
soloist Sidney DeParis, Wilbur was with Roy Eldridge's big band and
Duke Ellington (1945-1947) and recorded with Sidney Bechet during
1949-1950. However, it was in 1951 when he put together a band to play
at Ryan's that included his brother and clarinetist Omer Simeon that
he found his niche. Wilbur DeParis' New New Orleans Jazz Band did not
just play Dixieland standards but marches, pop tunes, and hymns, all
turned into swinging and spirited jazz. Throughout the 1950s, the
group recorded consistently exciting sets for Atlantic (all of which
are unfortunately long out of print) and they were the resident band
at Ryan's during 1951-1962, touring Africa in 1957. DeParis continued
leading bands up until his death, but his last recordings were in
1961". ~ Scott Yanow, All Music Guide: End quote>

DeParis, put his Dixieland Band together in 1951. He modeled it partly
on what Conrad Janis was doing with New Orleans Revival music in NYC
at Jimmy Ryans. The he cut the price and took the gig from Janis.
Prior to 1948, he was clearly a big band trombonist. Then the big band
business ceased to exist for most musicians. He sat in Ryan's for a
while soaking up what Janis was doing, even to copying routines and
then formed his own New Orleans/Dixieland Band using a real New
Orleans clarinetist (Omer Simeon) to make it "authentic". List mates
who know Conrad Janis can get his take on that situation.

The reason DeParis formed a Dixieland Band is because that's where the
jazz work was in NYC from 1947 or so on, not because after 25 years of
big band work, he suddenly decided he preferred to play Dixieland. He,
like many others, had to play Dixieland in order to make a living.
Ryan's was a long running steady gig when big band steady gigs had
become virtually non-existent for him.

You may disagree, however, the above is what really happened, not what
you or others may infer from record collecting.

Also for your edification, here is a short Vic Dickenson bio. He was
also clearly a big band player who switched to Dixieland in NYC when
the big band business died.

"Like most working jazz musicians of the era, Dickenson played with
many different bands in many different cities during his career. He
worked with Speed Webb in 1927, Zack Whyte in 1932, Blanche Calloway
(legendary band leader Cab Calloway's successful sister) from 1933 to
1936, Claude Hopkins from 1936 to 1939, and Benny Carter in 1939 and
again in 1941. Count Basie hired Dickenson in 1940, when his band was
at the height of its success. He then worked with Frankie Newton in
1941 and again from 1942 to 1943, and with Eddie Heywood from 1943 to
1946. He worked as a freelance trombonist on the West Coast in 1947
and 1948. In 1949 he relocated to Boston, leading his own band and
working as "house trombonist" at the Savoy until the mid-1950s. He
then settled in New York City, playing with Henry "Red" Allen, in
1958. He led, with Red Richards, the successful group the Saints and
Sinners, toured with George Wein's All Stars, and worked regularly at
Eddie Condon's club in the 1960s. He played with Wild Bill Davison
from 1961 to 1962. Dickenson's tours abroad include Europe with George
Wein several times in the 1960s, and again as a soloist. He also
toured Europe with Bobby Hackett and the quintet they led together
from 1968 to 1970. He toured Australia and Asia with Eddie Condon in
1964. During the 1970s he performed frequently with the World's
Greatest Jazz Band, and mostly played freelance through the 1970s and
1980s".

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband