[Dixielandjazz] Buck Clayton & Terrassi's

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Sat Oct 10 15:46:34 PDT 2009

> Clayton's experiences were similar to those of a lot of black, big band
> "swing" musicians around that time
> in New York City. Big band swing gigs virtually disappeared and so guys like
> Clayton, Vic Dickenson, Jonah Jones, Wilbur DeParis, Sidney DeParis,

I though so, too, until I heard the DeParis Brothers' Commodores, and
later - Sidney de Pris' Blue Notes.  Other swing musicians (Webster,
Eldridge) recorded swing for Commodore.  Not so the de Paris Brothers
- they recorded Dixieland.  The de Paris band on Blue Note  also
played dixieland.  So it seems that, for them, it was a matter of
choice, not lack thereof.
As to Dickenson and Sandy Williams - I don't know.  I first encounered
both as Dixieland players (although, on some records, the numbers are
Dixieland warhorses, but the playing is hardly Dixieland; for example
- listen to The Golden Era of Dixieland Jazz on Design).

Cheers