[Dixielandjazz] For Steve Barbone ~ Lou Terrasi's

richard.flecknell at ntlworld.com richard.flecknell at ntlworld.com
Fri Oct 9 01:17:11 PDT 2009

Any info on this place. Few years back they issued live sessions (thought all sessions are live) broadcasted in around 1952. That's probably too far back for you to have looked in. One of thse cds was Buck Claytonn a untypically, for him, dixieland setting. Boy can he play, listen to My Gal Sal. Your'll find on it the  well known Buster Bailey (not a favourite of mine - too weedy a sound) and Herb Fleming (who goes back a bit) and Kenny Kersey.
Now if (old chestnut) we're looking to play exciting Jazz study Buck's playing here. By the way Eldridge could/did play Dixieland, listen to him rip through That's A Plenty (I think late 50s recording). Not for the purists but his version brings a smile. I'm sure you know this you were there in NY.

I like most forms of Jazz but an example of how to approach the older forms with a fresh but still respectful glance back, would be Kenny Davern (sadly no longer here).
Richard