[Dixielandjazz] Brian Wood ~ Israel Gorman

richard.flecknell at ntlworld.com richard.flecknell at ntlworld.com
Fri Oct 9 00:49:25 PDT 2009

Brian, you mentioned that Luis Russell was born in Columbia and not Panama.
You include that in your book "The Song Is Me". While looking that fact up I was listening to Israel Gorman w Punch Miller so looking in your book I found he was killed in the 65 hurricane. Any further details I've always enjoyed these sometimes quirky musicians. Although not always accurate in their playing, age may be behind this, the sounds they produce are far removed from established methods and I enjoy this.
Brian you are obviously a Bunk fan. I'm also in the camp, never understood the criticism of him. My favourite session, emotional charged (especially when reading the liner notes, is his first recordings. What a thrill it must have been for them record.
I have a soft spot for the white musicians of New Orleans as well I like their brand of Dixieland. Just to be clear I mean those that were around when Dixieland made the headlines not the brash version often heard in that city later on. Any info on Mike Lala other than what's in your book.

Richard