[Dixielandjazz] Old Cornet

Don Ingle cornet at 1010internet.com
Tue Oct 6 10:14:38 PDT 2009

Ministry of Jazz wrote:
> Shalom Margaret,
>
> This sounds very much like a horn I bought on eBay a couple years ago. About
> 100 years old, shepherd's crook, silver, and the leather case sounds exactly
> like what mine came in. Mine was/is in pretty good condition, possibly
> refurbished before I got it. The name on mine says J.W. Pepper.
>
> Someone I showed the horn to who is supposed to know such things said JW
> Pepper was a music publishing company that used to buy horns with their own
> name on them, and that this was a popular thing to do around the turn of the
> last century. You might check out this possibility with your horn, that is,
> check if the name could have been a music publisher that sold instruments in
> their own name.
>
> My cornet is quite a nice horn, especially considering its age and the price
> I paid for it.
>
> Elazar
> Doctor Jazz Dixieland Band
> Jerusalem, Israel
> www.doctorjazz.co.il
> +972-2-679-2537

I picked up an old cornet that sound quire like the one you described,
but it is barelyplayable andwas used mostly for a prop for photos.
It was sold under the name of Wurlitzer,Chicago, who solda line of many
instruments under their name, but of what actual maker I do not know.
I also have a metal clarinet I bought off of Jazz Ltd. house bandmate
Barrett Deems in the '6o's. Barrett was always "selling" somthing he'd
picked up and bugged every body on the band into trying to unload
something. I finally told him I'd give him two bucks for it if he'd just
shut the hell up about it. He took it and the piece of junk, sold as a
school band instrument in some past time under the Name of Illini (short
for Illinois). It,too has been used for photo setups.
My personal horn is an older Conn Victor Cornet - for me the best horn
of its kind I ever had, though I have three other good ones. Friend
Wayne Jones, a drummer, had three Victors- for what reason other than
collectingI don't know, since he is one of the best and tastiest
Chicago-style and trad jazz drummers I ever worked with (he listens
intently to the players, never over plays, and even seems to breath
together with the wind players.)
One can get caught up in collecting horns. Sincere retiring from active
playing a year ago, I often wonder when my own EBAY sale will occur; but
for now I may just concentrate on my old idea of making boutique lamps
out of the stash of brass. My valve trombone would make a good chandelier!
Happy new year in your part of the world,
Don  Ingle