[Dixielandjazz] Ira Ironstrings

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Fri Nov 27 16:56:36 PST 2009

> Steve Barbone said you may be able to tell me the personnel on the Ira Ironstrings recordings - I haven't found them listed anywhere. Do you have any information? My late father loved those LPs.

Dear Dick,
Apologies for the delay in replying.
You certainly are, if nothing else, persistent.
A similar question from you was posted on the DJML back in March 2004 shortly after Alvino Rey died.
Steve Barbone replied to you at that time too!
<big grin>
Back in 2004, being stuck here down-under in Australia, I had never heard of Ira Ironstrings.
And Alvino Rey was not represented in my extensive mouldy jazz record collection. (He still isn't.)
Unfortunately, Steve has more faith in my jazz knowledge than I do.
The short answer is that I do not know who is on the Ira Ironstrings LPs.
Although, as we found (thanks to Bob Ringwald) the personnel for the band in the Warner's 'Dixieland Droopy' cartoon, the information IS out there.
Somewhere.
In the meantime, here is what I do have regarding the Ira Ironstrings LPs.
Most of which you will already know.

Ira Ironstrings was the pseudonym used by bandleader, guitarist Alvino Rey (b: 11 July 1908 - d: 24 Feb 2004) from 1958 to 1962 for LP albums recorded and released by the newly established company, Warner Brothers Records.
At the time Alvino Rey was under contract to Capitol Records, so the identity of Ironstrings was kept an industry secret for many years.
The key connection was that Alvino Rey was the brother-in-law of Warner Bros Records president, Jim Conkling.  A position Conkling had earlier held with Capitol.
Initially, Warner Bros Records was an innovative and musically diverse group and early on Conkling conceived the idea of recording a tongue-in-cheek Dixieland album, featuring an anonymous Alvino Rey and the best jazz talent available to Warner.
It was the company's 4th LP release and instantly popular.
The light-heated sleeve notes were written by another Warner executive, Dave Kapp.
During the 1930s the Kapp brothers (Jack and Dave) had worked worked together as A&R men at Brunswick and Decca (where they discovered and promoted the Andrews Sisters and The Inkspots). Jack died in 1949 and Dave eventually left Decca (mysteriously) to form his own consultative industry organisation which he ran until the late 1960s. He was also a long-established songwriter.
In late 1958 - early 1959, popular pianist Lou Busch (real name Bush, b: 18 July 1910 - d: 19 Sept 1979), aka ragtime performer Joe 'Finger' Carr, left Capitol and joined Warner Bros, as an A&R executive and occasional performing artist.
Matty Matlock (b: 27 April 1907 – d: 14 June 1978) was a successful jazz musician, composer and arranger who earned his well-deserved reputation with the Ben Pollack and Bob Crosby orchs during the 1930s. During the 40s to 60s he carved out a very successful career in the Los Angeles studios including Warners. His popular LP album 'The Dixieland Story' featuring Matty Madlock And His Paducah Patrol was Warner's second LP release.
The Ira Ironstrings LPs were allegedly produced by arranger Warren Barker. However, it is also claimed that other arrangements were contributed by Lou Busch and the extremely talented Matty Matlock.

The following Ira Ironstrings recordings (with cattledog number and year of release) were issued by Warner Brothers.
• Ira Ironstrings Plays for People with $3.98 (Plus Tax If Any).  						WBS 1204	(1959)
• Ira Ironstrings Plays with Matches.   										WBS 1248	(1959)
• Stereo Goes Charleston.  (Also issued in mono as Charleston in Hi Fi)				WBS-1297	(1959)
• Ira Ironstrings Plays Santa Claus (Christmas Music for Those Who've Heard Everything).  WBS 1339	(1959)
• Best Damn Dance Band in the Land.  										WBS 1380	(1960)
• Joe "Fingers" Carr and Ira Ironstrings, Together for the Last Time, Vol 1.   			WBS 1389	(1960)
• Ira Ironstrings Destroys the Great Bands.   									WBS 1439	(1962)
• Big Band Polkas on Parade.   												WBS-1457	(1962)

So who worked with Matty Matlock in the Los Angeles/Hollywood recording studios used by Warner Brothers and others in the late 50s - early 60s?
1958.
'The Dixieland Story'. Matty Madlock And His Paducah Patrol:
John Best, Shorty Sherock (t) Moe Schneider, Abe Lincoln (tb) Matty Matlock (cl) Eddie Miller (ts/bar) Stan Wrightsman (p) George Van Eps (g) Morty Corb (sb) Nick Fatool (d). April - May 1958

'Jack Webb Presents Pete Kelly':
Dick Cathcart (c) Moe Schneider (tb) Matty Matlock (cl) Eddie Miller (ts) Ray Sherman (p) George Van Eps (g) Jud de Naut (sb) Nick Fatool (d).
Hollywood. June 4, 1958.

'And They Called It Dixieland':
Shorty Sherock, John Best, Jackie Coon (t) Moe Schneider, Abe Lincoln (tb) Matty Matlock (cl) Eddie Miller (bar/ts) Stan Wrightsman (p) George Van Eps (g) Morty Corb (sb) Nick Fatool (d). Los Angeles. October 22, 1958

1959.
'Pete Kelly's Blues':
Dick Cathcart (c) Frank Beach (t) Eddie Miller (ts) Matty Matlock (cl) Moe Schneider (tb) Ray Sherman (p) George Van Eps (g) Jud DeNaut (sb) Nick Fatool (d). Los Angeles. April, 1959

1960.
'Kings Of Dixieland. Volume 5':
Dick Cathcart (t) Moe Schneider (tb) Matty Matlock (cl) Eddie Miller (ts) Dick Cary (p/alto-horn)  George Van Eps, Nappy Lamare (g,bj) Red Callender (sb/tu)Nick Fatool (d).  Los Angeles. 1960

'Dixieland Blues': Johnny Maddox And His Dixie Boys:
Mannie Klein (t) Moe Schneider (tb) Matty Matlock (cl/arr) Johnny Maddox, Bobby Hammack (p) Nappy LaMare (bj) Red Callender (tu) Nick Fatool (d) Beasley Smith (arr)
Unknown location. prob. c. 1960's

Skip Martin & His Prohibitionists. 'Dixie Front Line':
John Best (t) Dick Noel (tb) Matty Matlock (cl) Eddie Miller (ts) + Conrad Gozzo, Pete Candoli, Frank Beach, Joe Triscari, Ollie Mitchell, Mickey Mangano (tp) Tommy Pederson, Frank Rosolino, Ken Shroyer, Warren Smith, Moe Schneider (tb) Stan Wrightsman (p) Bob Bain (b,bj) Red Mitchell, Mike Rubin (b) Irv Cottler (d) Skippy Martin (arr/cond). Hollywood, 1960

Bob Crosby. 'The Great Hits':
Conrad Gozzo, Frank Beach, John Best, Mickey Mangano (t) Moe Schneider, Si Zentner, Joe Howard (tb) Matty Matlock (cl/as) Babe Russin, Eddie Miller (ts) Chuck Gentry (bar) Billy Maxted (p) Nappy Lamare (g) Bob Haggart (sb) Ray Bauduc (d) Bob Crosby (ldr)
Los Angeles. February 1960

Louis Armstrong/Bing Crosby:
Louis Armstrong (t/vcl) Dick Cathcart, Shorty Sherock (t) Abe Lincoln, Moe Schneider, Tommy Pederson (tb) Justin Gordon, Chuck Gentry, Matty Matlock, Wilbur Schwartz (sax) Stan Wrightsman (p) George Van Eps (g) Morty Corb (sb) Nick Fatool (d) Bing Crosby, Johnny Mercer (vcl) + choir, poss. dir. by Jud Conlon (cond) Bill E. Thompson (arr) Billy May (arr/cond)
New York, June 28, 29, 30 & July 5, 1960

Dick Cathcart. 'Dixieland Left And Right':
Right channel : Dick Cathcart (t) Moe Schneider (tb) Wayne Songer (cl,as) Frank Flynn (vib) Ray Sherman (p) Allen Reuss (g) Phil Stephens (sb) Ed Gilbert (tu) Nick Fatool (d).
Left channel : John Best (t) Bob Pring (tb) Matty Matlock (cl) Eddie Miller (ts) Gene Estes (vib) Stan Wrightsman (p) Al Hendrickson (g) Morty Corb (sb) Jack Sperling (d). Los Angeles, 1961
Note: This was a stereo battle between two dixieland bands.

Ed Reed And His Riverboat Five:
Joe Greaves, Dick Cathcart (t) Bob Havens (tb) Ed Reed (cl,ts) Eddie Miller (ts) Stan Wrightsman (p) Nappy Lamare (bj/g) Phil Stephens (sb/tu) Nick Fatool, Jack Sperling (d) Matty Matlock (arr). Los Angeles. January 23 & 24, 1961

'Columbia - The Gem Of The Ocean': Muggsy Spanier & His Orchestra:
Muggsy Spanier (c) Shorty Sherock, Cappy Lewis, John Audino (t) Milt Bernhart, Moe Schneider, Dick Leith (tb) Jack Dumont, Matty Matlock (cl/as) Eddie Miller (ts,cl) Herbie Steward (cl/as/ts) Teddy Lee (bar/b-cl/cl/ts) Stan Wrightsman (p) Al Hendrickson (g) Ray Leatherwood (sb) Nick Fatool (d) Dean Kincaide (arr) Harry Betts (cond,arr). Los Angeles, June 13, 1962

'The Roaring Piano Of Joe "Fingers" Carr':
Joe "Fingers" Carr (p) with The Wildcat Jazz Band: including : Dick Cathcart (t) Moe Schneider (tb) Eddie Miller, Arthur "Skeets" Herfurt (reeds) Red Callender (sb) Alvino Rey (g) and others.  The Girls From The Club 16 (vcl) and : The Harmony Boys (vcl).
Unknown location. c. 1961

Glen Gray. 'They All Swing The Blues - Sounds Of The Great Bands Vol 5':
Conrad Gozzo, Shorty Sherock, Joe Graves, Mannie Klein, Uan Rasey (t) Milt Bernhart, Si Zentner, Joe Howard, Lew McCreary (tb) Arthur "Skeets" Herfurt, Abe Most (cl/as) Plas Johnson, Babe Russin (ts) Chuck Gentry (bar) Ray Sherman (p) Jack Marshall (g) Mike Rubin (sb) Irv Cottler (d) Alvino Rey (g) Benny Gill (vln) Larry Wagner (arr). Hollywood. December, 1961

Quite a few names there familiar to ardent DJMLers.
And a very definite local jazz clique.
Add Lou Busch to the 'family' and you have a nucleus for the various Ira Ironstrings recording groups.

And finally, here are some music clips from 'Ira Ironstrings Plays With Matches':
"Twelfth Street Rag"
   http://www.box.net/shared/yf4795b8gl
"Johnson Rag"
  http://www.box.net/shared/6zzlr3pmq0
"Guitar Boogie"
  http://www.box.net/shared/v41bneavql

Plus, from 'Plays Santa Claus: Christmas Music for Those Who've Heard Everything', a clip each from each tune on the LP.
   http://www.amazon.com/Plays-Santa-Claus-Christmas-Music/dp/B0000DG014
Note that several of the songs are Lou Busch compositions, so it is probably safe to assume that Joe 'Fingers' Carr is featured on some, if not all, of this album.

Listening to the above audio clips, I notice the frequent use of a low register, deep-toned clarinet not usually associated with Matty Matlock.
Could it have been an intentionally devised signature for the Ira Ironstrings recordings?
If not Matlock, could it be Eddie Miller?
Wot say DJML listmates Don Ingle and Steve Barbone?
And who is the exuberant vibes/xylophone player prominently featured on the Ira Ironrings recordings?
The only one included on any of the above recording sessions is percussionist Gene Estes who worked and recorded with Jack Teagarden, Tex Beneke, Harry James, Billy May, Skip Martin, Shorty Rogers, Paul Weston, Gary Crosby, Dick Cary and in all major Los Angeles film, TV and recording studios.
He was a much-in-demand musician, apparently capable of filling any percussion assignment.
He also played vibes in his own Gene Estes Quartet.
All food for thought.
I have never heard the Ira Ironstrings collection so do not know if (apart from Alvino Rey) there are any significant solo (possibly identifiable) instrumentalists.
Therefore, I am unable to comment further.
Apart from Amazon's secondhand 'bin', there are no Ira Ironstrings CD reissues currently available, that I can find.
Very kind regards,
Bill.