[Dixielandjazz] Bosendorfer Piano-Ringwald writes

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 13 08:44:54 PST 2009

Oscar Peterson was a Bosendorfer guy. He made a DVD in Vienna for
their 175th Anniversary celebration. The DVD  "A Night in Vienna"  is
superb, being done at the Musikverein (Concert Hall) there in 2003 or
2004. I had a copy of it and passed it on to a list mate a while back.

Not only is the sound magnificent, the visuals are absolutely
stunning. If you dig Peterson, you should have this. CAVEAT, it is
modern jazz, but even so, the rendition of Sweet Georgia Brown is a
complete gas. The Quartet is: Peterson: Niels H.O. Pederson, bass; Ulf
Wakenius, guitar; Martin Drew, drums. This group knew how to play, no
doubt about it. <grin>

Also, this is 11 years after he had his stroke, and he is "old". Not
what he used to be, but if you can't hear his genius and it doesn't
bring tears to your eyes to see him get a Standing O when he enters
the hall, or when he finishes, you have NO SOUL.

Hear "Hymn to Freedom" from the DVD at: (the encore at concert end)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMsSEqsnugk

Or hear him when he was younger on Sweet Georgia Brown - Blistering
Bass from Pederson and Brown. Blistering Stride on Peterson's solo.
(after Pederson's)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMzFqmctbww

I hope no one gives us that old "Too much technique hampers jazz"
stuff. <grin>

BTW, if you have recent Oscar Peterson CDs say 1990 and later, chances
are you are hearing a Bosendorfer. He fell in love with the brand in
the late 1970s, played them when ever he could, and then in the 1990s/
2000s demanded them.

As an aside, about 10 years ago, my band did a summer party for one of
the DuPont's at their estate in Centerville (Wilmington DE). We played
by the pool and were using a pianist in the rhythm section. Mrs.
DuPont invited him into the house to see and play their piano. It was
a Bosendorfer model 290 Imperial Grand with 97 keys. He was blown away
when he played it, partly because being a piano maven, he knew that
Bartok, Debussey, Busoni, Ravel, Mussorgsky and others had written
concertos specifically for this model. After that, he talked about
playing that box for years.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband