[Dixielandjazz] Hypothetical question

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Thu Nov 5 23:23:55 PST 2009

 Bill Biffle wrote:

 > In 1986 my wife and I took our one and only cruise.  There were a lot of fine musicians playing on the ship.  They played in small combos in the bars and as a show band each night for a variety of variety shows.  They were very good and I enjoyed listening to them.  On Wednesday, the special guest artist - Bobby Rydell - came on board to do his show that night.  He brought with him his musical director - a drummer.  This drummer sat down in the middle of these same fine musicians we had been hearing all week and a magical transformation occurred.  They played with him - for him - in a totally new way.  It was amazing.  It was difficult to believe it was the same band.
>
> So I vote for a great musician.  Even if he's a drummer!  :-)
       Bill,

Here is a different take:

If the musicians on the ship were good as you say they were, they were professionals hired to play in small combos and to back name acts such as Bobby Rydell.  That was their job.

Thus, when Riddle came aboard, obviously with his arrangements, they played them.  If they were professionals, the drummer did not necessarily make them play better.  They were just playing Riddle's arrangements as they were paid to do.  That was their job.

Best,

--Bob Ringwald

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4576 (20091105) __________

http://www.eset.com