[Dixielandjazz] Hypothetical question

Bill Biffle bbiffle at brgcc.com
Thu Nov 5 21:09:06 PST 2009

In 1986 my wife and I took our one and only cruise.  There were a lot of fine musicians playing on the ship.  They played in small combos in the bars and as a show band each night for a variety of variety shows.  They were very good and I enjoyed listening to them.  On Wednesday, the special guest artist - Bobby Rydell - came on board to do his show that night.  He brought with him his musical director - a drummer.  This drummer sat down in the middle of these same fine musicians we had been hearing all week and a magical transformation occurred.  They played with him - for him - in a totally new way.  It was amazing.  It was difficult to believe it was the same band.

So I vote for a great musician.  Even if he's a drummer!  :-)

Bill Biffle
Albuquerque NM USA