[Dixielandjazz] Good listeners was Hypothetical question

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 5 07:05:35 PST 2009

On Nov 4, 2009, at 11:52 AM, dixielandjazz-request at ml.islandnet.com
wrote:

>  "James O'Briant" <jobriant at garlic.com>
>
> Steve Barbone wrote:
>
>> IMO, two good horn players in the front line can cover for a bad
>> third
>> one, ....
>
> I'm not sure I'd agree with that...  Two good front line players
> may distract some of the audience from what the third one is
> doing, but it won't fool any good listener who knows what to
> listen for.

You are right, but then, how many "good listeners" exist in our
audiences? Maybe 10? <grin>

Couple of points.

IMO, most people don't know what they are listening to. They only know
what they like. Some of them claim to be knowledgeable, however
routinely exhibit their ignorance about what they hear. They wrap the
cloak of elitism about themselves. " I'm special because I appreciate
jazz and know all about it and therefore what I say about jazz is
right, etc., etc., etc." Pure nonsense view.

My point being that if Louis or any of the jazz giants is on trumpet,
and Teagarden or any of the jazz giants is on trombone, then the
audience won 't worry about a mediocre clarinet player. For example,
one many of the "good listeners" would describe as mediocre or worse,
Pee Wee Russell .

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband