[Dixielandjazz] Amping the bass (was Banishing the Mikes)

macjazz macjazz at comcast.net
Fri Nov 6 14:58:17 PST 2009

These people are doing permanent damage to their ears.  Every thump breaks
off the microscopic hairs in your ears that are the sensing aspect of your
hearing.  Once those break off, they do not regenerate and each one is a
step toward deafness.

I am profoundly deaf and speak with authority (not from having that kind of
amplification, but from knowledge of hearing loss.  My deafness is
hereditary.)  Many musicians should wear "musical" ear plugs that dampen the
volume without affecting pitch or timbre.  Once your hearing is gone, it
doesn't come back and it does look a little awkward to be playing up there
with a hearing aid (but lots of people do it.)

Martin D. McKay (Designated Listener)
(Gives the DL tag a whole new meaning, doesn't it!)